Laser FOD Detection System (LFOD)
Pavemetrics® Laser Foreign Object Debris (LFOD) detection system uses high-speed cameras, custom optics and laser line projectors to acquire both 2D images and high-resolution 3D profiles of airport runways, taxiways and aprons in order to automatically detect even the smallest objects at highway speeds.
The LFOD system can be operated both during daytime and night-time as well as under all types of lighting conditions; surfaces lit by the sun or covered by shadows as well as various pavement types ranging from dark asphalt to concrete can be scanned at inspection speeds from 0 to 100km/h.
Cost Effectively Cover Your Entire Airport
Unlike incredibly expensive fixed systems which are limited to FOD detection along a specific runway or taxiway, the mobility of the LFOD allows it to be used across the entire airport.
Multi-function Delivers Higher ROI
One of the unique advantages of the LFOD is that it shares the same hardware as Pavemetrics automated pavement inspection system; the LCMS. By upgrading your LFOD with LCMS algorithms, the same piece of hardware can deliver higher ROI by providing a full assessment of your pavement surfaces. In fact, with this upgrade your LFOD can even help detect FOD before it develops by locating FOD-producing pavement defects such as raveling and spalling.
Efficient and More Accurate than Manual Methods
Depending on the LFOD sensor configuration selected, an entire runway can be scanned in just a few minutes, day or night, with FOD 2mm and larger automatically detected.
In order to optimize field staff operational efficiency, alarm thresholds are user-configurable. Larger FOD can be set to trigger operator alerts while alarms can be silenced for small FOD, while their their locations and other details are recorded for later analysis.
See it in Action
Click on the movie below to see 100% automated FODs detection in real-time from the LFOD.
- Detection of FOD as small as 2mm
- 24-hour operation; daytime and night-time
- Automated detection; alarms can be pre-set to trigger upon detection of specific FOD sizes
- Safe and efficient; operational speeds from 0 to 100km/h
- Flexible configuration; scanning width of 12 to 18m per pass
- Cost-effective installation; typically can be mounted on existing inspection equipment
- Accurate; GPS tagging of detected debris
- Can be used in conjunction with GPS display for visual guidance
- Exceeds FAA AC 150/5220-24 guidelines for detection of debris that are 5cm or larger
- Exceeds FAA AC 150/5220-24 guidelines for debris location determination accuracy (5m)
- Exceeds FAA AC 150/5220-24 guidelines for FOD detection alarm, reporting and mapping