Laser Crack Measurement System (LCMS-2)
PavemetricsTM Laser Crack Measurement System (LCMSTM-2) is the ultimate single-pass 3D sensor for pavement inspection. The LCMS-2 is able to automatically measure, detect and quantify all key functional parameters of pavement in a single pass, including: cracking, rutting, texture, potholes, shoving, raveling and roughness.
The LCMS-2 delivers proven results on more surfaces than any other sensor in the market; from hotmix asphalt to chipseal, porous pavement, and both tined and untined concrete.
The LCMS-2 can dramatically reduce your labor costs and project completion time; a complete 1mm resolution automated pavement condition survey can be completed day or night at 100+ km/h.
Please refer to the specification tabs below for further details.
The Right Data; According to the Right Standards
Key automated measurement capabilities include: cracking, rutting, potholes, raveling, macro texture, and more all measured and reported compliant to ASTM and AASHTO standards.
The Most Widely Trusted Sensor
The LCMS-2 is the highly-anticipated successor to the incredibly popular LCMS-1. More than 100 LCMS-1 units have been delivered around the world; making it the most widely adopted and trusted sensor of its kind.
Objective, Accurate and More Repeatable
Data quality is also improved as the process is fully computer-driven and objective, with results being just as accurate, and much more repeatable, than manual rating.
Longitudinal Profiling and IRI Option
This option enables the capture of longitudinal profile and reporting of IRI, PPF and ERD data using the LCMS-2’s built-in high-precision Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs). With this the feature the LCMS-2 is able to capture and report profile and IRI at the precision and bias of an ASTM E950 Class 1 profiler across the entire 4m lane width. Users can also apply a custom tire bridging algorithm as well as custom waveband filters (e.g., short, medium and long) as desired.
Curvature, Grade and Crossfall Option
This option enables the reporting of longitudinal grade, horizontal crossfall (cross slope), curve super elevation and water entrapment using the LCMS-2’s built-in high-precision Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs). Crossfall and water entrapment is calculated and reported according to AASHTO PP 69 (Determining Pavement Deformation Parameters and Cross Slope from Collected Transverse Profiles).
See it in Action
Click on the movie below to see 100% automated crack detection results from the LCMS-2.
Key Features of the LCMS-2
- Automatic detection and measurement of cracking (both sealed and unsealed)
- Automatic rutting measurement (compliant with ASTM E1703, Taut Wire, Moving Ruler, Brazilian method, 5 Point rut depth calculation)
- Automatic pothole detection and measurement
- Automatic detection and measurement of raveling (an industry first)
- Automatic measurement of macro-texture (MPD, MTD) in all 5 AASHTO bands
- Pick-out detection
- Bleeding detection and measurement
- Delamination detection and measurement
- Shoving detection and measurement
- Sewer and storm-drain detection and inventory
- Rumble strip detection and inventory
- Water-entrapment calculation
- Edge drop off and curb detection and measurement
- Joint detection and faulting measurement
- Pavement type detection (asphalt, chipseal, porous, concrete)
- Pavement marking detection and dimension measurement
- GPS tagging of measurements and images (using Customer-supplied GPS)
- Measurement of longitudinal profile and calculation of roughness (optional)
- Slope, Cross Fall and Super Elevation (optional)
- 28,000 Hz scanning frequency
- 1 mm longitudinal scanning interval at speeds up to 100 km/h
- 1 mm transverse resolution
- 0.25 mm vertical accuracy
- 0.05 mm vertical resolution for IRI measurements at 25mm (1 inch) intervals (confidence level of 95%)
- E950; Can collect longitudinal profile and compute IRI with the precision and bias of a Class 1 Profiler
- E965; Can collect macro texture and compute MTD
- E1703; Can compute rutting according to standard
- E1845; Can collect macro texture and compute MPD
- D5340; Can be used for airport condition index surveys
- D6433; Can be used for Roads and parking lot pavement condition index surveys
- PP67; Can quantify cracking (location, orientation, width, but not “type”)
- PP68; Can collect images of pavement surfaces
- PP69; Can determine pavement deformations
- PP70; Can collect transverse profiles