Laser Crack Measurement System (LCMS)
PavemetricsTM Laser Crack Measurement System (LCMSTM) is the ultimate single-pass 3D sensor for pavement inspection. The LCMS is able to automatically measure, detect and quantify all key functional parameters of pavement in a single pass, including: cracking, rutting, texture, potholes, shoving, raveling and roughness.
The LCMS delivers proven results on more surfaces than any other sensor in the market; from hotmix asphalt to chipseal, porous pavement, and both tined and untined concrete.
Able to perform a complete pavement condition inspection at full 1mm resolution, in a single pass, automatically, day or night, at 100+ km/h; the LCMS can dramatically reduce your labor costs and time to complete your projects.
Two versions of the LCMS are available depending on your measurement needs, please refer to the specification tabs below for further details.
The Right Data; According to the Right Standards
Key automated measurement capabilities include: cracking, rutting, potholes, raveling, macro texture, and more all measured and reported compliant to ASTM and AASHTO standards.
The Most Widely Trusted Sensor
With more than 100 units in use around the world, the LCMS is hands-down the most widely adopted and trusted sensor of its kind.
Objective, Accurate and More Repeatable
Data quality is also improved as the process is fully computer-driven and objective, with results being just as accurate, and much more repeatable, than manual rating.
Longitudinal Profiling and IRI Option
With this option high precision Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs) are added to each of the LCMSTMsensors and specialized software is provided for calculating road profile and IRI. With this upgrade, the LCMSTM is able to collect and report longitudinal profile and International Roughness Index (IRI) with the precision and bias of an ASTM E950 Class 1 profiler across the entire 4m lane width.
Curvature, Grade and Crossfall Option
With this option high precision Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs) are added to each of the LCMSTMsensors in order to allow you to collect and report Longitudinal Grade, Horizontal Cross Fall (cross slope) and Super Elevation of curves. By integrating with the same hardware components, this Option can be cost-effectively combined with the Longitudinal Profile and IRI Option.
See it in Action
Click on the movie below to see 100% automated crack detection results from the LCMS.
Key Features of the LCMS
- Automatic detection and measurement of cracking (both sealed and unsealed)
- Automatic rutting measurement (compliant with ASTM E1703, Taut Wire, Moving Ruler, Brazilian method, 5 Point rut depth calculation)
- Automatic pothole detection and measurement
- Automatic detection and measurement of raveling (an industry first)
- Automatic measurement of macro-texture (MPD, MTD) in all 5 AASHTO bands
- Pick-out detection
- Bleeding detection and measurement
- Delamination detection and measurement
- Shoving detection and measurement
- Water-entrapment calculation
- Edge drop off and curb detection and measurement
- Joint detection and faulting measurement
- Pavement type detection (asphalt, chipseal, porous, concrete)
- Pavement marking detection and dimension measurement
- GPS tagging of measurements and images (using Customer-supplied GPS)
- Measurement of longitudinal profile and calculation of roughness (optional)
- Slope, Cross Fall and Super Elevation (optional)
LCMS 1 Specifications
- 5,600-11,200 Hz scanning frequency
- Up to 2.5 mm longitudinal scanning interval at speeds up to 100 km/h
- 1 mm transverse resolution
- 0.25 mm vertical resolution
- 0.5 mm vertical accuracy
LCMS 2 Specifications
- 28,000 Hz scanning frequency
- 1 mm longitudinal scanning interval at speeds up to 100 km/h
- 1 mm transverse resolution
- 0.1 mm vertical resolution
- 0.25 mm vertical accuracy
- E950; Can collect longitudinal profile and compute IRI with the precision and bias of a Class 1 Profiler
- E965; Can collect macro texture and compute MTD
- E1703; Can compute rutting according to standard
- E1845; Can collect macro texture and compute MPD
- D5340; Can be used for airport condition index surveys
- D6433; Can be used for Roads and parking lot pavement condition index surveys
- PP67; Can quantify cracking (location, orientation, width, but not “type”)
- PP68; Can collect images of pavement surfaces
- PP69; Can determine pavement deformations
- PP70; Can collect transverse profiles